Thursday, April 23, 2009

Cakes Amuck


Every now and then I get the urge to be domestic. Not that I'm not domesticated, it's just that I kind of suck at the whole Martha Stewart thing. My house isn't filthy but it's not exactly spick and span either. My meals are sufficient to keep one alive and most of the time they are tasty but they don't come with perfect place settings or garnishes. My baking is good but sometimes not too appealing to the eye.

I am only human after all.

But I greatly enjoy doing sweet things for my family (mainly my husband seeing as my son can't quite munch on cookies yet).

I decided to make an apple spice cake.

I got all my ingredients together, whipped them up according to the recipe, greased the pans, poured the mix, put them in the oven and even did the dishes while I was waiting for the cake to bake.

I was feeling very accomplished.

Even when the cakes came out super moist and done to perfection I think I was coming to the stage of pride before the fall because next it was time to assemble the cake.

I plopped one cake on the pie server and topped with the apple pie filling like the recipe suggested and when I went to get the other cake out of the pan I was distressed to see it tear down the middle.

No big deal, I thought. I'll just ice it together and no one will know.

But then the top started to give way with the icing. The two halves of the top started to slip to either side and another piece broke.

I tried to work as fast as I could but before I knew it icing was all over me, I had used three different icing tools and the cake looked like someone had dropped it on the floor, picked it up and stuck their fist in it for spite.

My husband came in and looked at my cake and started laughing.

"I'm not laughing at you, dear, but...." laughter cut him off.

I told him to grab a plate quick because if I didn't serve him a piece I was going to end up serving pieces of the cake from the floor as it continued to fall to pieces.

"Hold on," he said, and disappeared back into the living room and coming back with the camera. "We need to take a picture of this."

I've only ever made one cake before and that was for my husband's birthday almost three years ago and it wasn't nearly as complicated (I know you seasoned cake-makers are laughing at my use of the word "complicated").

Either way, we both had a hulking piece of delicious, though ugly, spice cake last night.

I promised Garrett his birthday cake would be prettier.

No comments:

Post a Comment